THE PLACE WHERE MY OTHER BLOG COMES TO DIGRESS



Monday, April 6, 2009

...that my grandfather knew


Here is, for no reason other that I want to write it down somewhere before it gets forgotten (as it is I had to ask mum to help me with the last couple of lines), a rhyming riddle that my grandfather was quite fond of. For Italian readers who’d like to try, the ludicrously easy answer is in the comments below.

Son piccin, cornuto e bruno,
Me ne sto tra l’erba e i fior.
Sotto un giunco o sotto un pruno
La mia casa è da signor.

Non è d’oro né d’argento
Ma rotonda e tonda ell’è
Terra è il tetto e il pavimento
E vi albergo come un re.

Se un fanciul col suo fuscello
Fuor mi trae dal suo manier,
In un piccolo cestello
Io divento il suo piacer.

Canto all'alba,
Canto a sera,
Con lo spirto mio gentil.
Monacello in veste nera,
Rodo l'erba e canto april.


Back to original post.